Our History

Macedonia Evangelical Lutheran Church, a historical landmark of the Dutch Fork, was established in 1847. For the first two years, the congregation met in a nearby school building until a church building was erected in 1849. The first church building was a plain frame structure that the congregation worshiped in for over half a century. The current edifice, built mostly of pine harvested from the nearby woods is gothic in architecture and was completed in 1914. Additional Sunday School rooms were added in 1942 and a parish hall was completed in 1973. 

The congregation of Macedonia began with 23 charter members from neighboring churches. In November of 1849, the congregation was received into the Synod. The waters of Lake Murray rose in 1928 and covered all roads but one leading to the church. This took a heavy toll on the congregation and membership was reduced to one-third of its highest enrollment. A faithful few held on and for many years following, services were held twice a month by nearby pastors. In 1961, the congregation received a full time pastor and services began every Sunday. 

Since 1959, The community has enjoyed a tradition of Easter sunrise services at the beautiful and serene lakeshore. Following the success of the Easter sunrise services, early morning outdoor worship services began in 1970. To fulfill the needs of the growing outdoor services, an outdoor worship center was constructed in 1995. 

 

Contents © 2021 Macedonia Evangelical Lutheran Church • Church Website Builder by mychurchwebsite.netPrivacy Policy